Mary's Basilica is situated opposite the Russel Market Square in
Shivajinagar, Bangalore. Initially, the basilica was built as a small
chapel by Abbe Dubois, in the year 1818. However, later, Reverend L.E.
Kleiner got it converted into an ornate Gothic style church. In 1882,
St. Mary's Basilica was adorned with a large number of stained glass
windows, imported from Paris. However, during World War II, these
windows were removed and then again restored in the year 1947, the year
of India's independence.
The Basilica has an imposing tower and gothic-style pointed arches. It
was only in 1973 that Saint Marys Church of Bangalore was given the
status of a Basilica, making it the sixth Basilica in India. The status
was awarded through a Papal order by Pope John Paul VI. One of the major
attractions of this basilica is the St Mary's Feast, held every year in
the month of September. Devotees from far and wide come to Bangalore in
September to attend this grand feast.