Bangalore
Bangalroe PalaceVidhan Soudha BangaloreBangalore City
This article gives information on religious places in Bangalore. Know about places of worship in Bengalooru/ Bangalore, India.
Bangalore : Bangalore Religious Places

Bangalore Religious Places

Iskcon Temple BangaloreBangalore city boasts of a number of religious places, ranging from mosques to churches. Not only are these religious places revered amongst the devotees, but also significant from architecture point of view. Given below is more information about the major religious places in Bangalore. Check out the places of worship in Bengalooru, India.

Banashankari Temple
The Banashankari temple of Bangalore dates back to the year 1915. It was founded by Somanna Shetty, a devotee of Banashankari Amma. He brought a deity of Amma from Badami, in Bijapur district, and installed it inside the temple.

Bull Temple
The Bull temple of Bangalore is dedicated to Nandi Bull, the vahana (vehicle) of Lord Shiva. Situated in Basavanagudi, this temple has been built in the Dravidian style of architecture. Kempe Gowda, the founder of Bangalore, got the Bull temple built during his time.

Iskcon Temple
Just like all other Iskcon temples, Bangalore Iskcon temple is also dedicated to Lord Krishna. It is situated to the west of the Chord Road, on a seven-acre hillock, known as the 'Hare Krishna Hill'. The Iskcon temple of Bangalore was built to commemorate the birth centenary of the founder of ISKCON, Sri Prabhupada.

Jumma Masjid
The oldest mosque of Bangalore, Jumma Masjid was earlier known as Sangian Jamia Masjid. Situated in the busy K.R. Market area, the mosque is renowned for its beautiful architecture. The prayer hall of the Jumma Masjid stands on an elevated ground and stands adorned with soaring, ornate granite pillars.

Sri Gavi Gangadhareshwara Temple
Sri Gavi Gangadhareshwara Temple was cut out of a rock somewhere around the ninth century. It was later renovated by Kempe Gowda, the founder of Bangalore. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this temple is situated in the Gavipuram-Guttahalli, about 3 km from the City Market.

St. Marks Cathedral
St. Marks Cathedral is situated on the busy M.G. Road of Bangalore. The foundation of this cathedral was laid down in the year 1808 and the construction work was completed in 1812. However, it was only in 1816 that St. Marks Cathedral got consecrated by the Bishop of Calcutta.

St. Mary's Basilica
St. Mary's Basilica is situated opposite the Russel Market Square in Shivajinagar, Bangalore. Initially, the basilica was built as a small chapel by Abbe Dubois, in the year 1818. However, later, Reverend L.E. Kleiner got it converted into an ornate Gothic style church.

Dargah Hazrat Tawakkal Mastan
Dargah Hazrat Tawakkal Mastan is situated in Cottonpet locality of Bangalore. This dargah is closely associated with the Karaga festival. The procession, which starts from the Dharamraja Temple, visits the Dargah of this Sufi saint, Tawakkal Mastan, also.

Dharamraja Temple
Dharamraja Temple is situated in the Nagarathpet locality of Bangalore. It is known for housing magnificent images of Sri Dharmaraja Swami, the hero of the epic Mahabharata, and Lord Krishna. Dharamraja Temple is also very closely associated with the Karaga Festival of Bangalore. This is so because the Karaga, symbolizing Draupadi, the wife of the Pandavas, is located inside the temple. In the following lines, we have provided more information about the Dharamraja Temple in Bangalore, India.On the day of the Karaga Festival, the Karaga kept inside the temple is taken out in a procession, which covers a distance of approximately 20-25 km. It is also taken to Dargah of the Sufi Saint Tawakkal mastan. In the evening, the procession comes to an end and the Karaga is placed back inside the Dharamraja Temple.

St. Andrew's Kirk
St. Andrews Kirk, situated on the Cubbon Road, holds the distinction of being the only Scottish Kirk in Bangalore. The kirk is adorned with stained glass windows, which illustrate Lord Jesus and his eight apostles. The other attractions of St. Andrew's Kirk comprise of a pipe organ, installed in 1881, and the polished brass plaques ornamenting the walls.




Copyright © BangaloreIndia.org.uk. All Rights Reserved